Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Not guilty plea entered in attempted murder case

Not guilty plea entered in attempted murder case

  • Updated
  • 0
Mario Reyes

YORK – Mario Reyes, 60, of York, has pleaded not guilty in a case in which he is accused of attempted murder.

His arraignment was held in York County District Court this week.

Reyes, who has been in custody at the York County Jail since July 1, is accused of stabbing and strangling a woman. The near-fatal assault has led to formal charges of attempted second degree murder (a Class 2 felony which carries a possible maximum sentence of 50 years in prison), first degree domestic violence (a Class 2A felony which carries a possible maximum sentence of 20 years in prison), first degree assault (a Class 2 felony which also carries a possible maximum sentence of 50 years in prison) and strangulation (a Class 3A felony which carries a possible maximum of three years in prison with 18 months of post-release supervision).

It is explained in court documents (an affidavit filed by the lead investigator with the York Police Department) that emergency communications received a 911 call the evening of July 1, from 413 North Beaver Ave. The call abruptly ended – but before it did, dispatchers could hear screaming in the background and someone speaking in Spanish.

The officer says in his report to the court that upon arrival, he heard a woman screaming.

“Since I heard the screaming, I walked into the residence through the unlocked front door,” the officer wrote, noting that the screaming directed him to the front bedroom.

He says in the affidavit that when he walked through the bedroom doorway (which only had a curtain), he could see Reyes on top of the female victim with “one hand around her neck and one hand around her wrist. I could see blood everywhere. The York Rescue unit also came in at that time. We determined that Mario (Reyes) was not helping (her), it appeared as if he was strangling her. Mario moved his hand from her wrist and had both hands around her neck. When this happened, she stopped screaming.”

The officer pulled Reyes off the victim, according to the affidavit. When asked what happened, Reyes allegedly said, “I hurt (her).”

The affidavit says the officer saw a bloody knife lying on the ground next to Reyes’ right foot and extremely severe injuries to the woman’s neck. The officer said it appeared she had been stabbed multiple times. There was also blood splatter all over the room, the document says.

The victim was transported to York General Hospital and then taken by helicopter to another hospital. At the time of her transport, York Police Chief Ed Tjaden said her injuries were considered life threatening. No further information about the woman’s condition then or since has been released.

Upon Reyes’ pleas of not guilty to all counts, a jury trial has been scheduled for late February.

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

  • Updated

McKenzie Kohler of Amherst has had a history of pneumonia, once being hospitalized with it, but she typically goes to the doctor for an antibiotic and does well. Her plan was to go to the doctor Friday morning, Nov. 6, to get tested for COVID-19. She saw a nurse practitioner at Kearney Clinic who tested her for the virus and believed she had bronchitis.

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


Breaking News

Daily Alerts